Once upon a time, a Cave lived under the ground, as caves have the habit of doing. It had spent its lifetime in darkness.
One day it heard a voice calling to it, “Come up into the light; come and see the sunshine.”
But the cave retorted, “I don’t know what you mean. There isn’t anything but darkness.” Finally, the Cave was persuaded to venture forth. He was amazed to see light everywhere and not a speck of darkness anywhere. He felt oddly warm and happy.
Turnabout was fair play and so, looking up to the Sun, the Cave said, “Come with me and see the darkness.”
The Sun asked, “What is darkness?”
The Cave replied, “Come and see!”
One day the Sun accepted the invitation. As it entered the Cave, it said, “Now show me your darkness.”
But there was no darkness!
Source | Quiet Moment With God for Teens
(Honor Books, 2003) page 154
What a wonderful story of the power of light. It shows us that darkness, no matter how dark, is only really the absence of light. When light comes into darkness, the dark is dispelled. Darkness flees in every direction upon the coming of light. The night retreats from the rising sun, the monsters hiding under our bed are vaporized with a night light, and the shadow of a lie is dispelled in the light of truth.
In the same way, hate, loneliness, and fear are only the absence of the experience of love. As we experience love, just like light, it dispels this thick inner darkness. The hopelessness of depression is overcome with the experience of love bringing with it new hope, new perseverance, and peace. The fear of rejection and failure are disarmed and set running by the unconditional accepting embrace of the perfect love of God.
The sunrise of Easter resurrection dispels the deep darkness of sin and death. Even still many of us find ourselves intimidated by the threat of this kind of darkness and need a friendly reminder that the light of the world has overcome the darkness! The good news is the light Himself, the person of perfect love dwells within us so wherever we go, whatever we face, we do so in the confidence of the light and the love of God - a light that can never be extinguished!
Spend some time prayerfully reflecting upon:
- Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105
- The people which sat in darkness saw great light, and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up. Mt. 4:16
- Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Mt. 5:16
- And the light shines in darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not. John 1:5
- Jesus spoke again to them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:12
- Awake you that sleep, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give you light. Eph. 5:14
- Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no fickleness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17
- But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who has called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 1 Peter 2:9
- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleans us from all sin. 1 John 1:7
- And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. Rev. 21:23