For centuries, people have spent life-times on the journey of discovery. Exploring what it is to be human, to discover meaning, purpose, peace and a deep sense of self and their place in the universe. This exploration has often included thoughts and experiences of God and our relationship to God within our life and beyond.
How do we interact with God, how does God interact with us and does it really matter?
Is God good?
What does God think of me?
What does God want of me?
Where is God when I hurt?
Why does God allow suffering?
Does God love me and how can I experience the affection of the Father?
These and many other questions have been the universal cry and many have chosen a companion to journey alongside them for encouragement, support, wisdom; to help them discover God working in their lives and affirm them on their journey. These companions are Spiritual directors.The term spiritual direction is one of those loaded terms. It can illicit good or not so good feelings and the name can be a bit misrepresenting because of the word 'direction'. Sadly, many of us have been disappointed by church and stifled by some form of religious obligation, so when we see terms like direction, we assume this must mean someone telling us what to believe and what to do. Nothing could be further from the truth! Authentic, healthy spiritual direction never usurps a person's responsibility for their own relationship with Jesus. So what is spiritual direction?
is the practice of helping another person or group to discover God as revealed in Jesus Christ in all of life, and to respond to that discovery in a growing relationship of love, freedom and commitment.
God has been stirring us with the word “Catalyst”. A catalyst is someone who initiates or accelerates a relationship between two or more parties without becoming central to it. As catalysts (spiritual directors) we facilitate richer relationship between you and God while being careful not to get in the way. This allows the distinctiveness of what Holy Spirit is doing to take form in your unique personality, in your unique setting.
In a general sense, spiritual direction helps you explore your personal and sacred relationship with God and BIG questions like:
- Who am I?
- What is truly important to me and why?
- Who is God?
- What is God doing in my life?
- Where can I find meaning?
- What is God calling me to be and do?
- Can I overcome Guilt and Shame?
- How do I live with integrity what I believe?
- How can I cultivate a healthy relationship with Jesus and others?
Spiritual directors assist you in exploring these questions, providing some tools for discerning some of the answers and working with you to see how these answers impact your life in healthy ways.
“Spiritual direction is, in reality, nothing more than a way of leading us to see and obey the real Director — the Holy Spirit hidden in the depths of our soul.” - Thomas Merton, Trappist monk
How Spiritual Direction can benefit you!
- A growing awareness of Gods love, presence and grace in all of life.
- A deeper sense of peace, joy, freedom and gratitude.
- Increased sense of purpose and focus.
- Help to discern God's will in decisions you face.
- A growing self acceptance and the discovery of your true identity.
- Grow in compassion and understanding.
- Can help the healing process from hurts, brokenness and bitterness.
- Share your struggles and challenges confidentially with love and acceptance.
- Renewal of Faith and Hope.
- Learn the skills for personal soul care.
- Support and Encouragement in all of life's spiritual challenges:
- Relationships - Marriage, Family
- Vocation - work, goals, calling and dreams
- Recovery from loss, illness, spiritual abuse
- Recovery from loss of employment and a sense of failure